Monday, June 1, 2009

New Favorite Salad

I've got the herb garden up and going and with all this summer-like weather all I feel like eating are salads, so here's my new favorite. It's from the Mayo Clinic cookbook and it's very healthy (only 109 calories a serving). I hope you like it too!

Tabbouleh
1 cup veg stock (although I used chicken)
1 cup bulgur
2 cups cherry tomatoes
1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded, diced
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley chopped
3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 green onions chopped
1 tablespoon lemon zest
1 clove of garlic, minced
salt
pepper
1/4 teaspoon of allspice (I didn't have this on hand so I skipped it)
Boil the stock and pour it over the bulgar in a heat proof bowl. Let it sit while it absorbs all the liquid (about 15 minutes). Add all the remaining ingredients, mix, cover and chill or just serve it up as is. Tastes great as leftovers the next day!

No comments: