Tuesday, June 24, 2008

50 Nifty United States...


This weekend I have to go to Raytown, MO. This is not my first trip to MO and I'm not especially looking forward to going back, but at least I'm not going to the flood ravaged section this time. I am hoping that my days as a business traveller are coming to an end, but I still have to make it through the summer which, unfortunately, is one of our busiest times. This weekend's trip is a long one and I don't get back until Thursday night. It's making me cranky just thinking about it, so in order to cheer me up I am thinking of all the places that I've had to go for work and listing for you my highlights and lowlights. I still have 17 more states to hit so that gives me one reason to soldier on.

City that surprised me the most in a good way: Portland, ME or Westport, CT (both are quaint and charming in an old east coast kind of way, Portland has a very charming cobblestone section with good restaurants and shopping and it's right on the water - also you can easily bring back fresh lobster which usually inspires me to hold a welcome back lobster party and that always sounds fun and Westport is really cute and lovely and has some really fun, giant houses to look at. I think Martha Stewart and David Letterman both have homes near Westport)
Honorable Mention: Salt Lake City, UT
I really like SLC and I think it has a bad rap. It has good restaurants and shopping and it's a very walkable city. From my hotel I can easily access a nice U Village type shopping mall or any chain restaurant you can think of along with a few good independent type restaurants - add to that a midsized airport that's easy to navigate and you have yourself an easy and enjoyable business trip (oh, the people are super nice too so it makes my actual job easier too).
City that surprised me the most in a bad way: Ketchikan, AK (maybe it was just the constant June rain, but I was expecting a cute tourist town)
Least favorite airport: Houston International hands down, that place is old, dirty, hot and has too many terminals that are just lobbies with doors and no bathrooms or shops.
Favorite airport: I love Seatac, but I'm usually just there for a little while, so my second favorite is probably Minneapolis, lots of restaurants to choose from and it's clean.

So, thanks, I feel better already, I'm not flying through Houston and I just might like Raytown, MO. I'm staying in KC so maybe I'll have some decent meals and (fingers crossed) maybe the elliptical machine at the hotel will have it's own little TV attached. That would make my trip!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree with you about the Houston Airport; it is the worst we have to offer in America.
On a global scale, the Athens airport comes to mind as one that makes you want to take the next flight out. Unless they spruced it up for the Olympics.
As for Ketchikan, doesn't the name alone suggest something nasty and scary to you?
And speaking of nifty 50/50 nifty, I can still recite them in alphabetical order. That's a little scary, too.