Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Not so "daily"...

I apologize for not being even close to daily, but I was in Baltimore for most of last week and there wasn't really anything blog worthy and then we went to Napa and it was very blog worthy, but I'm saving that post for when I have time to gather up the pictures.

In the meantime I have some new recipes. I made these two salads last night when we had the Oliver family over for dinner and they were a hit... very good and very summery (to make up for the lack of actual summer so far).

These are both originally from Bon Appetit - but I got them on Epicurious



cabbage and corn slaw with cilantro and orange dressing
1 Orange juice and zest
1/3 cup unseasoned rice vinegar
1 – 2 Tablespoons of light mayo
1 (8-ounce) bags coleslaw mix
2 cups of shredded purple cabbage
2 - 4 ears of fresh corn, shucked, kernels cut from cob
2 medium carrots, peeled, coarsely grated
1 medium red bell pepper, stemmed, cored, cut into thin strips
6 medium green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

I changed some of these ingredients so I’m not 100% sure on the quantities, but basically I whisked together nearly equal parts mayo, vinegar and orange juice and added the zest and salt and pepper to taste so that I had a somewhat healthy very liquidy creamy dressing.

Combine slaw mix, corn kernels, carrots, red bell pepper strips, sliced green onions, and chopped cilantro in large bowl. Toss with enough dressing to coat. Season slaw to taste with salt and pepper. Let stand 15 minutes for flavors to blend. Toss again and serve.



creamy potato salad with lemon and fresh herbs
3 pounds baby red potatoes – the store only had purple so I used those and it tasted fine and looked interesting too – I think it would be perfect for a Husky tailgate party
3 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
3/4 cup light mayonnaise
3 medium green onions, thinly sliced
1 celery stalk, cut into 1/3-inch cubes
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
11/2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel

(FYI – I had some left over lemon herb dressing and I used it as a dip for veggies and it was excellent)

Bring potatoes to boil in large pot of water. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 17 minutes. Drain; let stand until cool enough to handle, about 20 minutes.

Cut potatoes into 3/4-inch pieces. Place 1 layer of potatoes in large bowl; sprinkle with some of vinegar and salt and pepper. Continue layering potatoes with vinegar, salt, and pepper. Add all remaining ingredients; toss. Season with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD Can be made 8 hours ahead. Cover and chill.

We also had BBQ Chicken. I used the Ancho & Molasses BBQ Rub with Love sauce that was on sale at Met Market. All the flavors look delicious and I'm going to try out a few of the other flavors... SO GOOD and easy too!

http://www.tomdouglas.com/products/sauces.html

No comments: