Friday, March 19, 2010

cooking for one



Charlie is in Las Vegas for the weekend so I'm cooking for one and I've come to the conclusion that I really don't like it. I always make way too much food, and when it's just me, the problem is just that much worse. I also feel really unmotivated when it's just me... but earlier today I was at the store buying food for Abby and I picked up some seafood on sale so I had to use it. I ended up making a thai seafood soup and it turned out really well... so even though I hate cooking for one I thought I'd let you guys know that it still tastes good. Oh, and just in case you were wondering, Abby scarfed down some ham, cheese, and spinach pancakes today!

Melissa's Thai Seafood Soup - measuring and cooking for one do not go together, but if you are inclined to experiment gather up these ingredients and make yourself so good soup

1/4 c diced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbl diced ginger
1 stalk of lemongrass
2-3 small tomatoes, diced
1/4 lb clams (or less, the soup was a tad fishy for my tastes and I am blaming the clams)
1/4 lb mussels
hand full of bay scallops
1/2 can of light coconut milk
1 tsp red curry paste
1 tsp red chili paste
1/2 c veggie or chix stock
1 Tbl brown sugar
1-2 Tbl oil (I used a combo of sesame and chili oil)
cilantro
lime
fish sauce
snap peas

Saute the onion, garlic, ginger and lemongrass in oil. Add tomato and cook for a while. Add coco milk, pastes, stock, sugar and simmer for just a bit. Add seafood. Cook and let flavors meld. Add peas or other veggies.

Some nice crusty bread tastes good with this too.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

You're singing to the choir sister! But I do make a lot of soup, freeze 'em in those handy containers and have a go to lunch or hot dinner. I'll try this one - sounds delicious.