Monday, July 7, 2008

Back from KC!



Kansas City was actually very pleasant. They have lots of parks and shopping and the city was much prettier than I expected. So that was a nice surprise. I sure am glad to be home though and I want to tell you guys about the book I'm reading. It's called What is the What and it's by one of my favorite authors, Dave Eggers (If you haven't read A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius then I highly recommend that you do) but his new book is actually a biography of a guy from Sudan. He was one of the lost boys that made their way here to the states after having their families and villages murdered. These kids wandered through jungles and deserts to find their way to refuge camps and the story of how they managed it is riveting and heartbreaking. I have to keep reminding myself that it's a true story, that thousands of little kids actually made this trip. Anyway, it's a great book and it really opens your eyes to struggles in other parts of the world and makes you thankful for what you have. There's nothing like a story about civil war and refuge camps to make a 5 day business trip to KC seem pleasant...

http://www.amazon.com/What-Vintage-Dave-Eggers/dp/0307385906

2 comments:

fragment G said...

I started Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius and had to stop. It was giving me 'emotion fever' as it was moving around so much. I do plan on giving it another try.

Am interested in this book. I've always wondered just what the what is. Will the answer be revealed?

Wait, don't ruin it, let me find out for myself.

Kelsey said...

I suggest Dave Eggers other book, And You Will Know Our (or maybe My or Me By My) Velocity, or some other very long and similar title including the word velocity. A sprinter for the American Olympic team is one of the lost boys.