Tuesday, July 29, 2008

New Favorite Dinner


Charlie and I have a new favorite summertime dinner. It's easy to make and so good that I had to share.

Sloppy BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
2-3 servings

2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1-2 tablespoons cilantro
1 walla walla sweet onion
1 tablespoon of oil
2-3 tablespoons of Tom Douglas Rub with Love Ancho Molasses BBQ Sauce (or delicious bbq sauce of your choice)
Whole Wheat hamburger buns

All I do is cook up a little boneless skinless chicken breasts. We don't have a microwave so I just boil it in a pot of water with some seasoning - usually a little Mexican seasoning or something with some spiciness (to be honest I don't know if this really adds any flavor, but it makes me feel good because it changes the water into more of a broth). Boil until done, then chop it up in small pieces and put it in the fridge to chill it.

Chop the cilantro and about 1/4 of the onion very finely and mix in with the chicken. Slice the rest of the onion into strips. Heat about 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan over med-high heat and add the onion strips. Season with some salt and cook until golden brown. Add to the chicken mixture.

Take the chicken mixture out of fridge and add the bbq sauce. Toast the buns and heap the chicken on top! Yummy! (one time I also made some coleslaw and put this on the sandwich too, I enjoyed this a lot, but Charlie was less enthusiastic...)

1 comment:

fragment G said...

Love the Tom Douglas rubs. I just noticed that you can buy Costco sized Tom Douglas rubs at Costco. I only saw the dry rubs there, but it gives me hope for the others to follow.

I may have to visit this receipe for my easy meals while Peggy is away in France